360 Feedback Programs in Organizations
Each summer, SurveyConnect sends out a survey to our clients, business associates, and LinkedIn connections to gather information that we think would be of interest to these groups (and ourselves). In previous years, we have built a business reading list and collected data about what competencies are most important to organizations (and how they self-rated their current effectiveness in these competencies).
This year we deployed a survey that collected data on the 360-Degree Feedback Programs used in organizations. We divided the survey into three sections: The Individual 360 Process, 360s From an Organizational Point of View, and the Future of 360s. This year there were 149 responses to the survey. Here are our conclusions from the survey responses:
- Organizations deploy 360s as a valuable tool for in-house analysis to understand current performance in important organizational competencies. They are also used to help participants increase strengths as well as improve performance in appropriate areas. The primary use of 360 degree feedback programs is for development purposes, and most organizations either request or require a Formal Action Plan. These Action Plans are most effective if there is motivation from the participant and follow-up from the participant, their manager, and the organization.
- 360-degree program feedback is used in other HR organizational programs such as succession-planning, mentoring and/or talent management in a predominance of respondent organizations. While the 360 degree program strategy fits into the overall performance management of the organization on an individual level, there is more room for the analysis and use of 360 degree demographic data and trends to understand organizational issues, strengths and gaps.
- When asked how 360s need to evolve to adapt to the changing work environment, the top three responses were:
- Employees at all levels should receive this type of feedback, and
- Shorter assessments on a more frequent basis need to be implemented,
- Each participant should be able to personalize their assessment questions.
As always, if you have any questions or would like to talk about 360s or other employee surveys, please contact us.